Home insurance

Home insurance is a general term used to describe two different types of insurance:

Buildings insurance- for permanent fixtures and fittings, like kitchens and bathrooms, roof and floors.

Contents insurance – for things you keep in your home, like furniture, TVs, personal belongings and some types of flooring including carpets.

You can normally buy both types of insurance separately, or in many cases, you can get them as a joint policy from one insurance company. If you’re a homeowner, you’ll need to have buildings cover in case your home is damaged and in need of repair. It’s usually a condition of your mortgage and, if you’re a landlord, it’s your responsibility not your tenants.

Building insurance – what it doesn’t cover

You won’t be covered for general wear and tear and each policy will have its own exclusions. These often include damage caused by:

•leaking gutters

•frost (unless it causes damage from a burst pipe)

•insects, birds and pests

•storm damage to gates and fences

You can’t normally claim for loss or damage which happens whilst your property has been left unoccupied for more than 30 or 60 days. Many insurers will let you arrange cover if you let them know in advance.

here at Home Emergency Cover we can help you with peace of mind. We list and compare leading home emergency, boiler and central heating products to make your home safe all year round. Find quality products at low prices.

Our comparison features both landlord and private emergency products, so whatever your needs we have the products to suit. With a few clicks you can be covered and get your insurance documents emailed in moments.

Check out our FAQ page for common questions about home emergency insurance.

Written By Rob Marshall